Thursday 23 February 2012

Analysis - Digipak Poster


This is the finished version of my advertising poster for my CD Digipak. I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome of my poster. As you can see I have tried, and in my opinion succeeded, on maintaining a solid base for a good advertisement of the album, whilst sustaining the conventions needed to make an effective and attractive poster for the consumer.

The image I chose as a background image is one taken at a photo shoot we had of the band before the filming procedures. I really like the image as a whole because it gives a great overall feel to the poster. It is also attractive and catches the consumer' eye. I manipulated the image and used various lighting effects to make the text more abundant about the poster, drawing the consumer's attention to the necessary areas of the poster for advertisement. In the top left corner, stretching across the top strip and left strip of the poster, I added an overlying layer, adding a glaze of shadow to the image. I also added a 35mm film reel light in the top corner, adding a great addition of shadow and impression to the protagonists of the image (the band). The light also draws the viewers' attention to the information about the release dates of the CD, and also to the title, which is crucial. I also added a grain over the whole image, but not the text. This was again to pull the viewers' attention more so towards the text, and also to give a better look to the image as a whole.

The Digipak can be found along the bottom strip of the poster, in black and white. My reasoning for this was that it is not the main piece of information that I want the consumer to be observing. The black and white effect also worked fantastically with the text and put a great contrast to the image. The original colours of the digipak were at too much of a clash to the image on the poster to be maintained throughout. The advertising text used is bold, plain, and simple. This is a common convention used throughout posters in the 'Rock' genre, almost taking a 'No Nonsense' approach to advertisement, unlike something like a perfume advert, which is in different languages etc. Rock advertisement gives the viewers what they want to hear/read, easily.

The title text I chose is a more complex style of text. With an italic effect boring off the corners of the text and maintaining a contrast in the colour scheme I believe this works really well.

Overall I really like how the poster turned out, it was exactly how I planned it and more! The attraction of the poster is clearly abundant, whilst the all the information necessary is also there, but put across more subtly.

No comments:

Post a Comment