Thursday 23 February 2012

Analysis - CD Digipack





This is my finished CD Digipack for my A2 coursework. I tried to incorporate many different methods of technological convergence whilst creating my Digipack as I feel this is the best way to attract and maintain a solid audience base. The first modifications start right from the base of this Digipack. With the pictures being cropped specifically to achieve a certain effect – that of a blur. Each of the images used in the Digipack are separate, and I have ergonomically designed the backgrounds and protagonists in the picture according to the depth within the image.

The second effect that I tried to portray through the imagery used was that of a live show, or,

‘realism’ effect. I achieved this through using imagery that showed the band during a live performance. This meant the band showed no demand characteristics in that their behaviour whilst taking the pictures was not effected – giving their expressions or much more lifelike effect. I really like this effect as it eliminates and scepticism towards the bands love for their music, and followers of the band are being shown exactly what they are getting from the CD all the way through to a live show.





The text used on the Digipack was chosen specifically by me, these fonts are not default fonts on Microsoft word, these were downloaded and specified from an online album of fonts as I wanted to achieve the best relation from the text to the style of music I was representing. The colour scheme I kept simple throughout; as you can see, with the predominantly black background, the white text contrasted this well and gave the overall Digipack and much more mysterious feel. However still making the text easily interpretable for the viewers; not achieving this is a problem in some CDs.



The lighting effects I used, seen in the top left hand corner of the Digipack are an inspiration seen on much of the album art under this genre in the modern era. Lighting was never seen as a useful tool in imagery before it was discovered to bring more meaning to the images. The cropped images (discussed earlier) reflect the light perfectly, and, although the lighting effects I used were nonexistent in the original imagery, due to the angles of the shadows and reflected light, the image as a whole works fantastically. The images are in a specific order, believe it or not, with the most predominantly lit-up images in the foreground, shadowing the less bright images to give an idea of depth within the Digipack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



This is my finished back cover for the CD Digipak. I am thrilled with the turnout of the back cover as it contains all the necessary components of a Digipak of the modern era. It is not in contrast with any of the conventions that make a Digipak successful; this means it provides the viewer with an attractive yet thought provoking image, whilst giving the information about the contents of the Digipak in the corner, and also following the colour scheme of the front cover.

As I stated above, the Digipak as a whole creates a fantastic 'realism' effect, as the images were taking at a photo shoot of the band that we put together. This gave me the opportunity to manipulate the images however I wished whilst maintaining the state of reality about the feel of the whole digipak.

The image I used was a very creative one, not actually showing much information - but just enough to keep the viewer interested and intrigued as to what was on the album. The image was also manipulated to reduce the contrast and brightness, this gave me more room to construct the text and also to use the effect of almost lightning, bursting in from the left hand side going through the text. This immediately draws the attention of the audience, giving them the necessary information to get them interested in buying the CD, I feel the picture is perfect as it does not draw any attention away from this.

OVERALL

As a whole I feel the Digipak front and back covers work exceptionally well, there is no contrast in colour which adds to the realism of the images, bringing a strong overall feel to the covers. The covers also lack information, which is a marketing scheme used by lots of bands in this genre (Rock) as seen in my research, many bands have bland, almost boring front and back covers but then go into more detail in the insert, this is exactly what I thought about when producing a 6 fold insert, providing the consumer with the information needed and not just a plain and simple Digipak.

I am really pleased with the turnout of the front and back covers and I feel the images work really well with the blend effects added to them. The images also help to maintain a colour scheme, whilst working off the colour scheme with the contrasting lighting effects and text - making the overall Digipak more enjoyable for the consumer.


No comments:

Post a Comment