Saturday 7 January 2012

CD Digipak - Creation

When creating my CD Digipack I am going to follow certain guidelines to help me achieve the best possible look that is appropriate to both the music style I am portraying, and the overall attractiveness of the CD Digipack itself. Of course a Digipack doesn't just include a front cover to a CD case; it includes all aspects of the case, both front and back covers along with the trims.



These are the dimensions of a CD Digipack, as you can see there is a monumental amount of room to work with throughout both the front and back covers; however there is also many things to include in these areas. Titles, song names, song lengths, the CD name itself, pictures etc. Therefore the space is quickly dismissed.

I have many photos that I have taken myself to use for the CD Digipack, our group also had a photographer take action shots of the band whilst we recorded the music video, I am going to use some of these action shots when designing the front cover to my Digipack.

Front Cover





I am going to use these three photos from the action shots taken whilst doing a small piece of recording with the band for the front cover of my Album cover, I am going to manipulate the images to create an overall blur of the band as a whole along the bottom of the CD case, with a dark mysterious background. I will use these images as well as another of a blurred lighting shot, I will use this specific shot to cover the top left corner of the CD case, as this space was vastly open without. A black background will be maintained to sustain a look of mystery about the band, I also think darker colours work much better in contrast with the effect I am trying to attain by using blurred images. I am going to add 'A Day To Remember' and 'MONUMENT' to the front cover of the Digipack in white text to contrast the black background, making it easier for potential buyers to read and instantly grabbing their attention so as they know what they are looking at!

Back Cover


For the back cover I will use many different lighting shots to maintain the image portrayed on the front cover, this keeps the feel of the CD Digipack more realistic for a potential buyer. If a Digipack back and front cover are in complete contrast it can be confusing to look at; whereas a cover that flows throughout has a much better overall effect. I am going to include the three pieces of music/art the the album contains and maintain the same text style/colour as the front cover to maintain a pattern throughout the Digipack. I am going to use the blurred lighting effect to bring 'life' to the words, making them seem more lifelike and giving the overall view of the back cover a more creative feel - in perfect harmony with the style of music, Rock.

Trims


For the trims I will be continuing the theme of the whole Digipack by keeping them black, I am not going to add any form of art across the trims as they are covered with a lightly creased plastic packaging and hence any art would be distorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment